Have you been injured by a negligent third party, like a drunk driver who caused a car accident? You probably know already that you should pursue compensation using a personal injury claim, but you might not know who can help you. There are probably dozens, or hundreds, of injury attorneys in your area, at least. Which one is the right choice?
Spotting the personal injury attorney or law firm who should be trusted with your claim is not an impossible task, not when you know what to look for.
Five key factors and traits of a personal injury attorney you should consider are:
- Experience: As with any professional or setting, real experience is second-to-none when you need a personal injury attorney. Law firms with decades of total practice experience, simply put, will be better prepared to take your case than newcomers. They will know more about liability law and what insurance companies do to try to defend themselves. They will have an easier time determining a fair compensation amount, and so forth.
- Depth of knowledge: There are many attorneys who take a wide variety of cases, from criminal defense to family law. While it is totally fine if they want to diversify their law office, it is not exactly the best for clients. A law firm that only focuses on injury-related cases will naturally have a greater depth of knowledge of the subject.
- Case results: A law firm that only practices personal injury and has been around for years and years sounds great on the surface, but you still need to know about their track record for success. Look for great verdicts and settlements as well as consistency. For example, winning multimillion dollars for one client is fantastic, but it becomes less impressive if you find out that law firm lost every other case that year.
- Reputation: People in your community probably have an idea of who they prefer when they need legal representation. Do not hesitate to ask around. You should also look for awards that boost professional reputation, like membership to specialist groups like Super Lawyers®.
- Trial experience: Last but certainly not least, you need to know if your attorney can take your personal injury case to court, if need be. Many law firms will only take a case if it can be settled. The moment litigation becomes the only options, they refer the case to another law office and leave. This puts you in an awkward position of suddenly needing to familiarize yourself with new legal advocates, and it weakens your case’s chances of winning by bouncing it into new hands at the last minute.
Get to Know Our St. Louis Personal Injury Attorneys
Meyerkord & Kurth is reputable throughout St. Louis and beyond for providing reliable, honest, and compassionate legal representation to personal injury clients for a variety of cases. We have 95+ years of combined legal experience, a track record of successful verdicts and settlements, and numerous professional achievements. For all these reasons and more, we are confident that we should be your first choice when you need an injury attorney for your claim. We would love to get the chance to tell you more about our services, and your legal options if you get hurt by another person or party.