The parents of a child who died from a severe peanut allergy reaction reached a $15 million settlement with the city of Sacramento in a wrongful death claim. Their daughter died after she ate a snack at a city-run camp in 2013.
The 13-year-old girl was attending Camp Sacramento in July 2013. Her parents warned officials several times of her serious allergy, however, the little girl was given a Rice Krispie snack containing visually undetectable peanuts. Her parents were close by and attempted to administer EpiPens, but were unable to stop the fatal allergic reaction.
Her parents filed a lawsuit in 2014 and claimed officials at Camp Sacramento were warned numerous times about the allergy. The father of the little girl is a surgeon and severed a tendon in his arm when he was broke a medicine cabinet to get a third EpiPen. The injury was on his dominant arm.
The family hopes this will bring needed awareness to the food allergy community. According to the city, over the next 12 months, Camp Sacramento will go through an accreditation process with the American Camp Association. This process was part of the settlement with the family to ensure the safety of future campers, according to officials. The family has started a foundation in their daughter's name and has also successfully lobbied for a new California law that requires EpiPens in schools.
If you are facing the tragic loss of a loved and you would like to find out more information about filing a wrongful death claim, please contact St. Louis’ best personal injury attorneys at Meyerkord, Meyerkord & Kurth, LLC