Do you know what to do after an accident on a roadway in Missouri? Vehicular accidents can happen to anyone, on any Missouri road. Don’t let the stress of the accident cause you to violate state laws. The State of Missouri has official procedures that all motorist must follow in the event of an auto accident. Here are the following steps you must take after a traffic accident:
1. Move your vehicle off the road. Many motorists want to remain in the exact position after a collision until police arrive. However, this can be very dangerous, especially if you're on a busy highway. If you don’t move your vehicle off the road, you could cause additional accidents.
2. Call an ambulance if anyone is hurt. If someone is hurt in an accident, help the best you can without moving the injured person and call an ambulance.
3. Contact the police. Even if it is a small fender bender, it is important that you ask for an official police report.
4. Use Your Hazard Lights. To avoid causing another accident, use hazard lights, flares, reflectors or flashlights to warn other motorists.
5. Exchange information with all involved individuals such as name, address, driver's license number, motor vehicle information including VIN and plate numbers, insurance policy number and name of company
6. Stay on the scene until a police officer communicated you can leave. Fleeing the scene of a car accident is a criminal offense.
7. Contact your insurance company.
These are procedures all motorist should follow in the event of an accident to comply with state laws. However, there are additional procedures that the law office of Meyerkord, Meyerkord & Kurth, LLC, recommends, in addition, to ensure your legal rights are preserved. It would also benefit you in the event of an accident to exchange information with any witnesses, receive medical attention for any injury no matter how minor and contact our downtown St. Louis law firm as soon as you receive your medical treatment.