Winter time can mean driving in severe conditions and can be dangerous for anyone who is on the roads. Weather conditions can be hazardous and can cause minor to severe accidents, so it is always wise to be equipped for any type of winter travel. Here are a few tips to help prepare you for hitting the roadways this winter.
* Always check your tires to make sure they have the proper amount of air in them. Also, ensure that you have at least a half a tank of gas at all times.
* Do not use cruise control on ice, snow or rainy surfaces.
* Always put your seat belt on each time you get in your vehicle.
* Check the weather reports before traveling long distance. Postponing your trip is always an option if the weather becomes severe.
* Be sure to tell family or friends your travel plans and itinerary. It is always wise to let others know of your travel plans, in case you have trouble.
* Pack an emergency bag for your trunk. Batteries, blankets, food, water, extra gloves and a first aid kit should be readily available if needed.
* Don’t be in a hurry. This is a great tip for driving anytime but also important on slick surfaces. Your ability to stop quickly on snow, ice or rain decreases so be sure to give yourself plenty of travel time.
* Drive slowly. Turning, accelerating and stopping will take longer on snow-covered roads so keep the speed to a minimum.
* As always, limit cell phone use and texting while driving especially in bad weather. Keep that cell phone put away until you are safely parked.
The winter travel season is stressful enough, but if you are involved in a car accident, it is important that you discuss an attorney. An experienced attorney can help investigate your accident and determine if you have legal grounds for a case.
The attorneys at Meyerkord, Meyerkord & Kurth, LLC have decades of accident experience. We understand that accidents can be frightening and communicate with our clients throughout the entire legal process. We are dedicated to helping those who have been injured and work diligently to get them the care and compensation they deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact our St. Louis office for a free initial consultation.