A Washington woman has filed a lawsuit against Chipotle for sustaining food poisoning from E. coli. The plaintiff, Charmaine Denise Mode, claims that she ate food at a Chipotle restaurant on October 21st resulting in E. coli. Just days after eating at Chipotle, Mode began experiencing stomach cramps, and severe diarrhea. After seeking medical treatment, tests confirmed that Mode had E. coli illness. Just days later, Chipotle closed 42 of their restaurants due to the E. coli outbreak. The locations affected are in Washington and Oregon, and officials are not yet certain where the contamination originated. Over 35 illnesses have been linked the E. coli, and fortunately, no fatalities have yet occurred. Mode is seeking $75,000 in damages.
Slip and fall accidents, dog bites, and drownings are all examples of premises liability accidents. One type of premises liability accident that is often overlooked is that of food poisoning. The United States Food and Drug Administration require all companies that distribute food products to ensure the health and safety of consumers. State and local health departments also inspect all places that serve food to prevent any illnesses from occurring. Individuals that become ill due to the negligence of the server may have grounds for a premises liability case.
The experienced St. Louis premises liability attorneys at Meyerkord & Kurth have handled thousands of accident cases. Our attorneys have over 100 years of combined legal experience and will work diligently to hold all negligent parties accountable for your damages. Contact us today to receive a free no-obligation consultation.