COVID-19 UPDATE: We are open! Our team is working and offering consultations via phone, e-mail, and video conferencing.

Staph Bacteria Contaminates Food at Utah Homeless Shelter

Staph bacteria was been found in a Salt Lake City homeless shelter and is now the culprit of food poisoning for its patrons. Likewise, the food poisoning episode has sickened more than 50 people in Utah since Friday according to State Health officials. After an investigation, it was found that the bacteria found is commonly present on human skin, which can then get into the food after it's handled or not heated or cooled properly.

Sunday night emergency crews were called to the shelter after several cases of vomiting were reported, and 50 people were hospitalized and released the following night. No meals were served over the weekend, but the people who were staying overnight at the shelter ate a nearby St. Vincent de Paul Dining Hall.

Thus far, the health department will not be taking any disciplinary action against the homeless shelter, but it will require frequent random inspections to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Additionally, the homeless shelter has been fully cooperating with the investigation into the food poisoning. Since the episode, the Utah health department has only found one other violation; the water in a sink used to wash hands did not reach 100 degrees in 30 seconds.

If you or a family member were injured as a result of food poisoning, we can help. Please contact the skilled St. Louis personal injury attorneys at Meyerkord & Kurth today for a free consultation.

Categories