On Monday January 5, 2014, Petco Animal Supplies announced that it had entirely removed Chinese-made animal treats from stores nationwide and from its website. The voluntary removal of the rawhide and jerky treats, which are marketed for dogs and cats, was sparked by concerns that the treats were sickening thousands of pets. According to reports dating back to 2007, as many as 1,000 dogs in the U.S. have died after eating the treats.
After the treats became associated with cases of sick and deceased pets, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) began an investigation. According to regulators, initial tests have yet to connect the treats to pet illnesses. Still, Petco and fellow animal supply chain PetSmart announced that they would ban the treats from their stores. With Monday's announcement, Petco became the first national U.S. pet retailer to remove the treats from its stores.
Following Petco's announcement, the FDA released information about its ongoing investigation. The news release stated that investigations began after the agency received nearly 5,000 reports of pet illnesses and deaths after consumers' animals ate chicken, duck, or sweet potato treats made in China.
If your pet may have become ill or died after eating Chinese-made pet treats, Meyerkord & Kurth is here to help. Contact our experienced St. Louis personal injury lawyers for a FREE case evaluation.
**The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.**
**Past results do not serve as a guarantee of future results.**
**The information on this St. Louis personal injury website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.**