What To Do After A Car Accident?
Posted By Meyerkord & Meyerkord, LLC
Auto accidents occur so frequently that the average individual has a 1 in 606 chance
of losing their life in a fatal crash, according to the Insurance Information
Institute. While the likelihood to have an accident is great, many people
do not know the steps to take following an accident. Every person involved
in a crash should follow the recommended guidelines when involved in a crash.
1. Remain at the scene of the accident. Never drive away from an accident.
2. Provide a safe scene. If possible use flares or the flashers on your vehicle.
3. Call the authorities. Regardless if there are any injuries, it is important
to have an investigation and police report.
4. Seek medical attention if injured. Also, you may not realize you are
injured initially, so it’s important to go to the doctor if pain arises.
5. Obtain photographs and videos of the scene, damage, and injuries.
6. Notify your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident.
7. Collect and maintain all documentation regarding the accident.
8. Contact a skilled accident attorney to protect your rights.
Many auto accidents occur due to a form of negligence that could be grounds
for a claim. Examples of negligence include distracted driving, speeding,
driving under the influence, dangerous roadways, vehicular defects, and
more. While there are many factors that could cause a crash, it is imperative
to consult an experienced auto accident attorney to determine if you are
entitled to recovery for your damages.
The St. Louis personal injury attorneys at Meyerkord & Meyerkord, LLC
have more than 100 years of experience. We fully investigate and examine
all accidents to determine the appropriate course of action. Our attorneys
care deeply about your rights, and we offer personalized service to all
of our clients.
Contact us at our downtown St. Louis office today for a free no-obligation consultation.