What Should I Do After A Traffic Accident?
Posted By Meyerkord & Meyerkord, LLC
Do you know what to do after an
accident on a roadway in Missouri? Vehicular accidents can happen to anyone, on
any Missouri road. Don’t let the stress of the accident cause you
to violate state laws. The State of Missouri has official procedures that
all motorist must follow in the event of an auto accident. Here are the
following steps you must take after a traffic accident:
1. Move your vehicle off the road. Many motorists want to remain in the
exact position after a collision until police arrive. However, this can
be very dangerous, especially if you're on a busy highway. If you
don’t move your vehicle off the road, you could cause additional
2. Call an ambulance if anyone is hurt. If someone is hurt in an accident,
help the best you can without moving the injured person and call an ambulance.
3. Contact the police. Even if it is a small fender bender, it is important
that you ask for an official police report.
4. Use Your Hazard Lights. To avoid causing another accident, use hazard
lights, flares, reflectors or flashlights to warn other motorists.
5. Exchange information with all involved individuals such as name, address,
driver's license number, motor vehicle information including VIN and
plate numbers, insurance policy number and name of company
6. Stay on the scene until a police officer communicated you can leave.
Fleeing the scene of a car accident is a criminal offense.
7. Contact your insurance company.
These are procedures all motorist should follow in the event of an accident
to comply with state laws. However, there are additional procedures that
the law office of Meyerkord and Meyerkord, LLC, recommends, in addition,
to ensure your legal rights are preserved. It would also benefit you in
the event of an accident to exchange information with any witnesses, receive
medical attention for any injury no matter how minor and
our downtown St. Louis law firm as soon as you receive your medical treatment.